Born Lancaster, 1945. Studied in the sculpture department at St Martin’s School Of Art, London, 1964-7. Awarded a three-month travel scholarship to the USA, 1965, and, influenced by the landscapes of the Mid-West and the architecture of New York and Chicago, began making site-specific installations in 1966. These were documented photographically, with the photographs gradually displacing the installations as a means of presentation and forming the basis of a first solo exhibition at Camden Arts Centre,London, 1969. Since the late-Sixties this work has evolved by continually raising questions about the nature of photography as a representational medium, subjecting it to a critical interrogation while also celebrating its material specificity. The results of this practice have been the subject of numerous solo shows in galleries and museums in the UK, France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Spain, the USA, Canada and Japan, and included in group exhibitions such as the Sao Paulo Bienal, the Paris Biennale and Documenta. Appointed as Northern Arts Fellow In Visual Art (1976-8) and received the David Octavius Hill Memorial Award from the Gesellschaft Deutscher Lichtbildner in 1986. From 1968 to 2010 taught in various art departments, including the Rijksakademie in Amsterdam and the Slade School Of Fine Art, and is Emeritus Professor in Fine Art, University College London.